February 17, 2008

Brownies, lemon bars, and holy matrimony.

One of my very favorite people in the whole world, my friend Jenn, is getting married soon. I threw a small bridal shower today, and it was a good excuse to try some dessert recipes from Veganomicon.

First up, Lemon Bars. OmigoodnessIlovelovelovetheselemonbars. What I might like the most about vegan cooking is the resourcefulness. Think using eggs sucks? Still want lemon bars? Use sea vegetables and turmeric. Duh.


Fudgy Wudgy Blueberry Brownies. Blueberry and chocolate are soulmates, but I didn't know that until today.


Also, spanakopita from Vegan with a Vengeance, because Jenn (and I'm pretty sure everyone else, ever) loves her some spanakopita.


Also also, my friend Katie's very simple and addicting punch. Make it for your next punch-type event. Baby shower, knit night, boxing (oh!), whatever.


Mix these in a pitcher, and chill:

1 can frozen strawberry or raspberry lemonade concentrate
1/2 bottle white grape juice (4-5 C)
1/2 bottle ginger ale (1 liter)
Rum to taste (optional, but recommended)

Fourteen years in the making. <3

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, so I want to monch on everything on this page. Thanks to my recent purchase of Veganomicon, lemon bars are in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3ed that punch. So good!!! As was everything else you made... the leftovers I brought home are already devoured. Thank you for a wonderful shower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thooooose lemon squares and brownies look so divine!
    Mmmm...
    and I know the spanakopita kicks butt!

    Can't wait for the next brunch!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why aren't my lemon bars so yellow?
    What's your secret?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used a tiny bit more turmeric than the recipe called for, and it didn't affect the flavor.

    ReplyDelete