November 19, 2008

The Thanksgiving Menu

I have agonized over this menu. This is the first time I am hosting Thanksgiving on my own (usually I cook everything but the turkey at my parents' house), and the first time I am replacing the turkey for anyone but myself.

I am usually not the least bit apologetic about denying meat to people I cook for, but some reason omitting The Thanksgiving Turkey is intimidating to me. I keep googling pictures of live turkeys to remind myself how ridiculous it is worry about it.


Bubbles, a turkeylet rescued by Farm Sanctuary. Go to their website to adopt a turkey.

Anyway, here's the menu:

Appetizers:
Aged Cashew Cheese with Crackers (Dr. Cow)
Maple Cinnamon Caramel Corn (Hooray Vegan Zine)

Main:
Seitan Chops Smothered in Apples and Ginger (Post Punk Kitchen Blog)

Sides:
Seriously Decadent Mashed Potatoes (Hooray Vegan Zine)
Rosemary Mushroom Gravy (Hooray Vegan Zine)
Green Bean Casserole (FatFree Vegan Kitchen)
Cranberry Walnut and Sage Stuffing (Hooray Vegan Zine)
Cranberry Orange Relish (FatFree Vegan Kitchen)
Garlic Roasted Acorn Squash (See instructions below)
Roasted Fennel and Hazelnut Salad with Shallot Dressing (Veganomicon)
Potato Rolls (From a bakery cuz my oven will be stuffed already)

Dessert:
Pumpkin Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream (Bryanna's recipe)
Chocolate Chip Cookies (Post Punk Kitchen Blog)

Beverages:
Hot Spiced Cider (There's a guy that makes it local)
Pumpkin Beer

Garlic Roasted Acorn Squash, courtesy of freeganvegan on the ppk:
Cut acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds, place 2-3 garlic cloves in each half, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and bake. The squash and garlic get roasty toasty together, then you mash the roasted garlic in with the squash.

Pictures in a week! Happy Thanksgiving Ya'll!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's an amazing and ambitious menu!

    Your mini adopted turkey is so cute! I sponsored Phoenix.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you adopted one!

    We will see if I pull this menu off. I am getting up way earlier to allow myself screwups and do-overs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a wonderful vegan menu! Here's a video on you tube that should help you know you are doing the right thing!
    Palin Enjoys The Levity Of A Turkey Slaughter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPDrC1FjjDk

    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks wonderful. Can you post the Rosemary Mushroom Gravy and Seriously Decadent Mashed Potatoes Recipes. I have had the worst luck with gravy having any flavor:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. When will your zine be ready?? Those recipes look brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recipes will in the zine, which will be out Spring 2009. I would post the gravy recipe but I haven't written down the increments yet. The trick is lots of rosemary, salt, fresh pepper, and olive oil!

    ReplyDelete